RËVIEW: PARAMOUNT BIRMINGHAM

THE RESTAURANT: Trattoria  Centrale & El Barrio, popular downtown eateries, have just added another heavy hitter to the line up.  Paramount, rounds out the triad and brings the much needed after hour bites and entertainment to the cities center. The triple threat, Bar/Grill/Arcade, has taken root in the former Paramount Yogurt space on the corner of 20th and  2nd Ave North. Like the food stalker I am… I lurked on their Facebook page until the thing that mattered most to me was revealed… the menu!
THE PLOUGHMAN'S PLATTER
 Andouille sausage, candied bacon, pimiento cheese, smoked trout dip, giardiniera, marinated olives & crackers

THE AMBIANCE & SERVICE:
Not shabby at all… the converted space gives you an upscale neighborhood bar feel without the dirt and grime nor pretentiousness. The most noticeable remnant of the previous tenants is the large wall photo offering  a nostalgic  view of the space. A large bar,  lined with backless stools and inset wheel rims, takes center stage. As a big fan of open air restaurants, I have to say I took note of the addition of garage doors. I can't wait for spring!

While  the grill is self seating, I was greeted by Paramount employee (Justin) after I walked through the door. The staff was attentive and very knowledgeable. There didn't appear to be any just opened "hiccups". 
QUARTER POUND DOG
Perro Grande: bacon, avocado, pico de gallo, mayo & pickled jalapeños.

WINGS 2 WAYS:  
Rosemary, lemon, percornio & barrio hot sauce, 

THE MENU: We were informed of the Happy Hour Specials and some of the staff favorites from the creative menu. With several spins on the traditional, I was compelled to try an assortment of dishes. Wings 2 Ways, Triple Cooked Fries  and Not-zzarella Sticks. My sidekick foodie ordered The Ploughman's Platter &  one of  the Quarter Pound Dogs.

TRIPLE COOKED FRIES: with garlicky mayo

The food arrived quickly and we couldn't wait to dig in!  It's hard to name a favorite  but the  Not-zareela Sticks are a definite must try! The texture and flavor, combined with the house-made marinara, definitely brought bar food to another level! The Wings 2 Ways delivered as well. One of my wing peeves is a dry rub wing that has no flavor. I don't want to "look at flavor" I want to taste the flavor and that I did! The lemon, rosemary and percornio was not overpowering but was a nice addition to the marinated wings. I couldn't stop dunking the crispy fries into the garlic spiked mayo, best thing about good bar fries is that even when they get cold they still taste awesome! Need I say these were some good bar fries!

NOT-ZZARELLA STICKS:
risotto, broccoli, red pepper, olives, mozzarella & spicy marinara

With a decent portion size and a menu that packed variety and creativity it's nice to see the price point around the $7.00 mark. The Happy Hour Menu boasted wings and drink specials.


VERDICT:  A great spot for catching up with friends or just to mingle and people watch. With the pending opening of the adjoining game room, the possibilities are endless! While I didn't try out out any of the specialty drinks or partake in the selection of beers, the bar was well attended. With a few hometown brews on the menu, I'm sure there is something for everyone! I can't wait for my second trip to try out some of the other dishes on the menu! Paramount is a win in my book!
Paramount on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Printfriendly